Wednesday, April 15, 2015

A few words from Ron...

Truck driving is a tough job, you ether love it or you do something else. The long hours, the lack of sleep, and the lack of exercise all contributed to my health problems. I have no one to blame but myself. I made poor choices and ate all the wrong things at all the wrong times. I ate way too much. Food was my friend, eating was for comfort and not for health. I was never thinking about what I was doing to my body and the affect it was having on the people who cared about me.

Please do not continue to kid yourself, obesity affects everyone around you. I was at the point I either had to do something or die. With the help of my wife and a little investigation we found a safe and effective solution. The solution was so simple, so easy. Weight loss surgery may seem like a big step but it is a long term solution. Diets just do not work. Oh what a journey it has been. Six years in to this and still going strong and still in contact with the skilled staff who gave me back my life. They truly do care. That is long term aftercare. I am not referring to Lap Bands or Gastric Bypass, while they might work for some that was not a good option for me.
   
Today I wonder how much damage my obesity caused my beautiful little girl that I love so very much?  Was she ashamed to be seen with her big fat dad?  Was she ashamed to have friends over when I was home?  How much was she hurt because I didn't go as many places with her as other dads do?  I hope someday she can forgive me.
  
My wonderful wife, the love of my life. How did all this affect her? Sometimes having to be both mom and dad. Having to go places by herself because I didn't like going out in public because of my size.  The loss of affection, wondering how long I would live and so many other things I wish could change.  I'm sure it took it's toll but she never complained.
  
One other sad little fact,fat people don't get promotions as often or climb the corporate ladder as far as thin people.  We are looked down on and thought to be lazy.  Did you ever go in a store and have a sales person walk right by you to help a skinny person?  I know the feeling and it hurts.
  
Do you ever sit in a truck stop and watch drivers going round and round the lot looking waiting for a spot by the door? I was that driver not because I was lazy but because the walk wore me out. After awhile it was easier to park in the fuel island go in and load up on as much junk food and soda as I could and go sit alone and eat. It wasn't a great way to live. Today I park in the back of the lot and walk, sometimes even picking up some trash on the way.
 
I was at the point I either had to do something or die. With Wendy's help and a little investigation we found a safe, effective, long term solution. The solution was simple and easy, weight loss surgery. This may sound like a big step, but it was the best choice for me. Diets just don't work. People over 30 BMI very seldom reach their goal or keep the weight off. Sad but true. I had to do something and soon, no way would I pass another DOT physcial, and then what?  It was time to sink or swim!


--Check your own BMI:  http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/educational/lose_wt/BMI/bmicalc.htm
  
Oh what a journey it has been. Six years into this and still going strong! I am still in contact with the skilled people who gave me back my life. They truly do care, what a wonderful gift indeed.
  
Some of you may think you can't afford this, the truth is you can't afford not to. What is your life worth, what is the love and respect of your family worth? What will they do without you? The first year what I saved on food paid for the surgery. If you are on medication for high blood pressure or blood sugar you probably won't ever have to take it again, what a savings. Good health returns!
  
Very few people know about my surgery, because of shame and other selfish  reasons I kept it secret. I regret doing this now, I could have been helping people all along.
  
Cancer took Wendy's life, and I know I can't cure cancer, but obesity is something I can help people find a solution. This is my way of giving back to all the people who helped Wendy and I the last three years of her life. Life is short don't let another day pass without doing something good for yourself and your family. Good health is priceless. At least give it some thought. Join me and many others on this journey to good health, you won't regret it.


Ron's phone  918 630 2970
Email:  RMortie@hotmail.com

Michelle phone 602 539 0970
Email: Bipley@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment