Saturday, April 18, 2015

Ron's Weight Loss Journey

Near the end of 2008 it was very clear, if I wanted to live and take care of my family I had to do something about my health problems. Wendy knew how bad I was getting, she had done her best.  Now, it was up to me. Diets just didn't work and time was running out.

Wendy and I talked about weight loss surgery, but we knew very little about it. Lo and behold a friend's husband had surgery a few months prior and was having great success losing weight and was doing well. We started doing some research and found out that most insurance companies don't pay for the surgery. They wanted me to go to counseling, exercise, and diet for a full year. That is a great idea if you have a year to wait and have not yet tried that. Self pay seemed like the best option for us.

Now the hard part, finding the right doctor. Wendy did her homework checking on many doctors, some local and some far away. She researched everything, checking on the cost, the doctors, and the care they gave their patients, as well as if they would even take me on as a patient. To Wendy's credit she always was able to smell BS when she heard it, and trust me there are some bad doctors out there! For whatever reason some of the people she talked to were less than honest about what they were selling. When she got in touch with the team who did my surgery she knew she hit pay dirt. The people were very up front, honest and told the whole story, the good and the bad. Every detail was talked about, even the risks. The choice was clear, the date was set.

On February 9, 2009 I started on a journey that saved my life. Mexicali here I come! Wendy didn't think I would go, but I did. The thought of not being there for my family was reason enough to get this done. I wanted so much to be a good husband and a good dad, I would not let them down. I flew into San Diego and was met by a driver who took me straight to the hospital. I met with the doctors, the staff, and went through some tests. I was a little nervous! The staff was great, they me feel at ease, and yes many of them spoke better English than me! HA HA The surgery was performed the next morning with no complications. There was some mild discomfort, I was up and going outside for a smoke in a few hours. Three days in the hospital and back to the airport and back home. The flight home was the worst part of the whole thing. Airline seats weren't made for fat people.

The day of my surgery I topped the scales at 329 lbs. In a few short months I was down to 174lbs. AMAZING! I would have never believed it. I had my life back, Wendy had a husband back that might live and be around for awhile. Things started to change very quickly. After 4 or 5 days at home I was back in the truck doing what I do best. It was not all that hard learning to eat healthy, there were not any cravings and I wasn't hungry. The first year after surgery I am sure what I saved on junk food and soda more than paid for the surgery. So many things happened the first few months after surgery.

The weight just kept coming off, Wendy wanted me to buy some new clothes but I wouldn't. One morning after checking in at a grocery warehouse I started to back in and jumped out to open my doors the wind was blowing like crazy, I had to make a choice hang on to my pants or hang on to the door. I made a poor choice, when I let go of my pants down they came right there in the middle of the parking lot. Must have been one hell of a sight for all those watching! Later that day I bought a pair of red suspenders.
One morning a couple months after surgery I walked into the Petro where Wendy was working, she did a double take didn't even recognize her own husband.  Her coworkers gave her a hard time about that.

The only regret I have is not being honest and telling people what I had done. People kept asking how I was losing so much weight. Not sure if it was shame or fear but for whatever reason I wouldn't tell people the truth. So many people could be helped if they only knew there was help out there. This is my way of giving back to this industry, and thinking Wendy and remembering her for all she gave to the trucking industry.

Don't wait any longer, you don't have to stay fat, there is help, there is hope. Give yourself and your family the gift of good health, enjoy life again. Please think about it, this is a life changing thing. You will not regret it. Save your life. Save your job. Get busy enjoying life again. Please join me and so many others on this journey back to good health.

You are free to call me or call my nurse. Just learn about this surgery. Save your CDL, save your life!

Ron – 918 630 2970 RMortie@hotmail.com
Michelle 602 539 0949 Bipley@gmail.com

Call now, don't put this off any longer.

There IS life after weight loss surgery!  We can go back to doing the things we love!  I would have never fit in this Model T before I lost weight!



Ron's phone  918 630 2970
Email:  RMortie@hotmail.com

Michelle phone 602 539 0970
Email: Bipley@gmail.com

1 comment:

  1. Why is it that there are persons who loss weight easily and there are persons who are doing everything to lose weight but failed.
    weight loss journey

    ReplyDelete